Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Philosophy Cosmetics at Big Lots

On my last 'Current Favorites' post, I included Philosophy's the color of grace eyelighting shadow duo in Heaven Earth as my current favorite deal.  I went to Big Lots looking for mini mirrors for a classroom project that the students were going to be doing the following week.  While browsing the beauty aisle I couldn't believe I could not find a single mirror without the magnify x 10 effect -_-  I just about gave up because I also tried the Dollar Tree with no success.  I passed by this wall of pink cosmetic packaging lined up with stocks and stocks of perfectly new Philosophy cosmetics.  I love Philosophy's Purity facial cleanser, so I could not believe it when I saw bulks of philosophy make-up taking up a whole shelf at Big Lots... and at $3 a piece, what a deal right?!  I grabbed one of everything and went through the products like a kid in a candy store.

There were cream blushes, eyeshadow quads and duos, make-up palettes, face powders, concealers, bronzers, face luminizers, lip glosses, and kabuki brushes.  Out of everything that I could have gotten, the only product that I thought I would use was the eyelighting shadow duo in Heaven Earth because I have been looking everywhere for a light neutral duo. 

Its soft and subtle texture glides on like butter.  I love it for the sheer and natural-looking spring/summery go-to-eye.  It's a light sandy champagne color coordinated with a light taupe brown, and both shades have a light fresh sheen finish with a slight hint of ultra fine shimmer, and I mean really really fine, which is why I think I love it so much.  Honestly, it's impossible to make a mistake with this duo because the texture is so bendable, under-blending or over-blending, not the case here.


Both photo swatch without primer

  The look for the past several days...

Products:
                Philosophy shadow duo (Heaven Earth)
                Black eye shadow as eyeliner
                Diorshow Blackout mascara (one coat)
                Amazing Cosmetics concealer (pin size amount) 


  No make-up (left eye), shadow duo with liner and mascara (right)

Notice the difference.  See how it just brightens the entire (right) eye area.  It even covered up the freckles on my lid.  I applied the champagne color over the entire lid and inner corner.  A light sweep of taupe on the outer corner and under lash line.  Lined the upper lash with black shadow, and mascara.  Dab a pin size amount of Amazing Concealer on the under eye area.  Fin!

Here's the look under brighter lighting...

 No make-up (left eye), shadow duo with liner and mascara (right)

 No make-up (left eye), shadow duo with liner and mascara (right)

I am loving this duo and I'm thinking about picking up a few more to stock up and give to my sisters and girlfriends.  If you have to pick one out of the bunch, I think the Heaven Earth duo is a steal.  I swatched the quads and did not find anything special about them, truthfully the quads, in my opinion, sucked.  The pigments were weak, and the colors did not blend well at all.  When my boyfriend saw my arm while standing in the cashier line, he said, "why do you have dirt all over your arm?"  @_@  Pretty much sums it all up right?  I laughed at his comment because I thought the same thing when I swatched the colors.  At $3 per quad, the quality was bad and the colors were nothing you might not already have.  Save your money even if $3 sounds to good to be true, it is...which is probably why they ended up in Big Lots in the first place.

But the Philosophy eyelighting shadow duo in Heaven Earth rocks!

What Philosophy product did you get and loved?  Or did you go wild and pick up one or two of each? 

No comments:

Post a Comment