Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Summary:  Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.  (-back of book)


Review:  My very first glimpse into the mystical world of fays.  Although, The Iron King did not dissapoint, neither did I find it amazing.  I felt Megan was a weak heroine, compared to other leading ladies like Katniss (Hunger Games) or Yelena (Poison Study).  In fact, Megan was quite aggravating... the idea of  'me against the world'.  But I think that is what makes Megan unique to this story,  because soon enough she does grow on me as the story continues.  She becomes more self less and a bit more concern about others and I was pleased to see her change of heart and her maturity level grow.  Still, her qualities are far less than desirable in a heroine.  Her stubbornness and inability to make a rational decision maddens me to the core.

I am baffled by Puck's (Megan's best friend) and Ash's (Prince of the Winter Court) attraction to Megan.  The author never really quite reveals why either of these two, swoon worthy characters, would feel any flicker of love interest in Megan.  Puck is mischievously delightful, and down right lethal.  Ash?  He's witty, dangerous, mysterious, yet vulnerable.  With that said, this is the first time I am conflicted with which male character I'd be rooting for.  I am leaning towards Ash, but I find myself cheering for Puck most time. 

While the story-line is unimaginative, her world is vivid and Mrs. Kagawa does a darn good job with attention to details, which makes her quite masterful when it comes to bring the characters to life.  Megan's missing memory has got the best of my curiosity.  The duel and bantering between Puck and Ash is amusing and witty.  The well-paced romance between Megan and Ash  is fresh and not your typical lust or love at first sight.   

Within the pages of The Iron King, you definitely get the feel of Alice in Wonderland-esque with the cat, Peter Pan with the Nevernever, Romeo and Juliet with the forbidden love of Megan and Ash both residing on the opposite end of the courts, and Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream with Puck, King Oberon and Titania.  Obviously, a lot of influences and inspiration drawn from differently folklore and tales from around the world.

I was teetering between the rating of 3 and 4.   Three simply because I felt that although it was a good book, it was not great.  Four because a good book got me interested in wanting to pick up the next book, that counts for something right?  I have to say it's a book worth reading if you want to give faeries a shot.

Rating:  3.5/5  

Puck or Ash?

No comments:

Post a Comment