Thursday, May 3, 2012

Book Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Summary: Set in the 1960's.  Three characters, their lives, and their journey to write a book about the stories of the maid of Jackson, Mississippi... all the bad, the ugly and the beautiful moments. 

Review: I may just be the last person to finally say that I have read, The Help.  I picked up the book a year ago, started reading, and put the book down because I was on over-drive with fantasy, paranormal romance, and sci-fi novels.  Yes, I am disappointed that I decided to pick up the book again over a year later, because it is a great book.  I liked this book because of its "story-telling" effect it had on me.  The writing is brilliant and well written.  The story-telling itself is not necessarily about the plot, but really the characters and their world.

The book is written in perspective of the three main characters, Skeeter (a 22 year-old college graduate), Aibileen (wise, and a woman of strength), and Minny (Aibileen's best friend, and the sassiest woman of Mississippi).  Books that have chapters told from one characters' perspective, usually has me drawn to one character in particular, but not this one.  I cared, cheered and rooted for them equally.  Even the minor characters, I couldn't help but feel curious about Celia, and the love-to-hate, Miss Hilly.

In an unequal world of segregation, the story takes you back and gives you a sense of what it would have been like to live in such a time.  The characters feel real and made me wish that Aibileen was my grandmother or care taker when I was a child.  This book keeps you in wonder, even far after you're done reading it.  We're there a lot of maids like Aibileen in the real life of 1960's of Mississippi, where black women loved and cared for white children?  In the end you're left with happiness, a reflection on life and empowerment.

A spoonful of serious, a dash of comical, with a sprinkle of attitude equals a light hearted story that I can recommend to anyone looking for a smart and inspiring read. 

Rating: 4/5

Have you seen the film adaptation of The Help?  Will you watch it?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment