Friday, April 13, 2012

Book Review: Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Summary:  
Keep Your Head Down.  Don't Get Noticed.  Or Else.

I'm Trella.  I'm a scrub.  A nobody.  One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers.  I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops.  So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels?  The only neck at risk is my own...until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution. (-back of book)

Review:  Loved Maria V. Snyder's, Poison Study, which lead me to this book.  Been a big fan of science-fiction, so when I read that Mrs. Snyder had written a dystopian novel, it was right up my alley.  This book has been sitting on my 'to read' pile for quite some time, slowly making it's way up to the top of the stack.  I dove into it with no expectations, nonetheless, I was left disappointed.  The plot had great potential , but just could not pull through.  The writing and the characters felt one-dimensional, lacking personality, and were underdeveloped.  I found it difficult to connect with the characters and I never really get to know Trella and the other characters.  The dialogues between the characters struggle to evoke a sense of chemistry.

I wanted to like this book, I really did, because Snyder is such a wonderful writer and one of my favorite authors.  But I just could not lose myself in the story.  The first half of the book felt dragged, and could have done without it, or shorten within a few chapters.

Even thought the book ended with a major cliff hanger, which normally would tug at my curiosity as to what is outside, I will not be picking up the next installment, Inside Out.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment